This is a condensed guide on moving Medilink installations from old hardware to new hardware. It covers both server and workstation migrations - ignore either if not relevant.
1. Create a 'Migrate' folder on the new hardware to copy files to, e.g. C:\MLKMigrate; do not copy files to the default install location i.e. C:\medilink32bnt as the installer may overwrite
2. Copy the whole medilink32bnt folder from the old server to the new server Migrate folder
3. Copy old workstations settings files medilink32bnt\bin\*.ini to new workstation. You want the .ini files that correspond to the role that the old and new PC will fill, e.g.,old reception PC to new reception PC, old back office PC to new back office PC. This saves a lot of time later when it comes to reconfiguring Medilink settings.
4. If the old Server is a Terminal Server, obtain the .ini files for individual users. Open %USERPROFILE%\Windows\WIN.INI file, inside this the [MEDILINK32BNT] AccIniFile setting will point to their primary settings file, find and copy all of these - usually they are all stored in the medilink32bnt folder which you have already copied anyway, but if not you may need to find them.
Note | Old hardware can now be taken off network - temporarily retain in case of emergency
5. Configure new hardware on network. All workstations must be able to ‘see’ new server and access via UNC share - should be on same workgroup/domain. Ensure peripheral drivers (printers etc.) are installed on all PCs. Consider retaining the existing server PC name for ease of migration.
If you want to install & migrate to a new server:
1. Run MLKMigrate\medilink32bnt\MedilinkUpdate\FullInstall.EXE file as an admin. Install as Server, or Standalone/Terminal Server if there is only a single PC. We suggest installing to the default location, or another drive, i.e. C:\medilink32bnt or D:\medilink32bnt; avoid Program Files. If you encounter any errors, at this point ignore and just get the install complete
2. Copy the whole MLKMigrate\medilink32bnt over the top of the newly installed medilink32bnt folder
3. Modify the paths in the medilink32bnt\bin\medi_acc.ini [Paths] section. If the new Server is a Terminal Server, configure the individual user’s settings files, linking them via the %USERPROFILE%\Windows\WIN.INI file’s [MEDILINK32BNT] AccIniFile setting, and changing the [Paths] section
4. Ensure the Antivirus solution is excluded from running real-time scans on the medilink32bnt folder
5. Run medilink32bnt\MedilinkUpdate\MedilinkUpdate.EXE
6. Run Medilink, ensure it comes up and has current data. If not, disable DEP, try legacy launcher, run network configuration from the launcher etc. If it still doesn’t run, contact Medilink Support.
7. At this point we highly recommend obtaining the latest update and installing it.Close Medilink, then run the launcher, click Update,and follow the prompts.
8. If the Server is used as a client Workstation, configure printers via File » Printer Setup. Test Medicare Online works completing a PVM on a patient
9. On all old Workstations (that are not being replaced), you should run the launcher and network management, and point the install to the new Server UNC path. Then run Medilink and confirm it is accessing current data. If you updated the Server to the latest version in a previous step it will now prompt to update the Workstation, follow the prompts to do so
If you want to install & migrate to a new workstation:
1. Copy the following files to MLKMigrate: \\<SERVER>\MEDILINK\MedilinkUpdate\FullInstall.EXE & MedilinkUpdate.EXE
2. Temporarily map \\<SERVER>\MEDILINK to a drive letter (e.g. M:).
3. Run MLKMigrate\FullInstall.EXE file as an admin. Install as workstation. We suggest installing to the default location, or another drive, i.e. C:\medilink32bnt or D:\medilink32bnt; avoid Program Files. If you have difficulty with the server UNC path, use the drive letter above, (i.e. M: without backslash). If you encounter any errors, at this point install as a Server/Standalone and/or ignore and just get the install complete.
4. If you had problems with the path, run the launcher, and use the network management tool to path to the UNC path.
5. If you have an existing similar workstation already setup, copy medilink32bnt\bin\*.ini from that workstation to this new workstation.
6. If you have installed on a different drive or have recently changed the server, modify the paths in the medilink32bnt\bin\medi_acc.ini [Paths] section.
7. If using Medicare Online, copy medilink32bnt\Online Claiming\hic.psi to this new workstation.
8. You should ensure your A/V solution is excluded from running real-time scans on the local medilink32bnt folder and server UNC share.
9. Run MLKMigrate\MedilinkUpdate.EXE choose Workstation, and point to the correct path.
10. Run Medilink, ensure it comes up and has current data. If not, contact support.
11. Configure printers via File->Printer Setup. Test Medicare Online works if they use it by doing a PVM on a patient.